Geeks With Blogs

About Me:
I am a Female SharePoint Developer (a platinum unicorn). I have been working with SharePoint since I attended the Portal University in 2005. I hold a BA in Computer Science from the University of Missouri - Kansas City. I love playing Rockband, organizing user group meetings, working with code, attending events as a speaker or organizer, and having bizarre conversations about geek things with cool people. If you have any comments or questions fill out the contact form and I will try my best to help.

The Guide of a MOSSLover Becky Isserman's Blog
I had a bug that I worked on for two days.  If anyone read my tweets for the past few days they would notice that I wanted to rip my hair out.  All my webpart form did was refresh the page.  It would not write to the SharePoint Logs or push an error with a Debug.Write Statement.  I have a lot of poofy curly hair and I wanted to pull it out of my head piece by piece.  Finally I decided to do some last resort debugging, by writing to one of the textboxes to see where the item failed.  I noticed that the CAML Query for one of the lists was failing for no good reason.  I re-created the list using the STP file off our dev box and renamed it.  Changed the code constant for the list name and bam! it worked perfectly fine...Something about the list was corrupt...A field or the actual list.  So moral of the story is error handling in that case is almost nothing.  The try/catch block was not even working.  It was almost as if there was no try/catch block.  Sometimes SharePoint can be nutty, hopefully someone else doesn't fall into this trap.  If you have a CAML Query in your click event and for some reason it is failing with no error check all the lists attached to your code.  Later guys. Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 11:53 AM MOSS | Back to top

Comments on this post: The Bad Seed: Battling with Corrupt SharePoint Lists

# re: The Bad Seed: Battling with Corrupt SharePoint Lists
Requesting Gravatar...
We've encountered a weird problem involving apparently corrupt records when linking to a sharepoint list using MS Access 2003. The symptom is MS Access tries to open a file called MEMOTMP0.TMP on the web server. Since we don't have file write access to the web server, MS Access bombs out. We tracked it down to one field in one record. If it had any data in it, MS Access blew. If it was empty, it ran fine. We deleted and re-added the record, and that seemed to resolve the problem.

Do you know if there are any data integrity checking tools for SharePoint lists? I've been unable to locate any so far.
Left by Garth on May 21, 2009 12:54 PM

# re: The Bad Seed: Battling with Corrupt SharePoint Lists
Requesting Gravatar...
Garth we are having the same problem. I turned off versioning and turned it back on and it started working correctly again. This sucks if you need old versions.
Left by Cpat on Jun 10, 2009 9:24 AM

# re: The Bad Seed: Battling with Corrupt SharePoint Lists
Requesting Gravatar...
Think I`m falling on the same trap...

But thanks for your notes ;p
Left by Tarcisio Gambin on Aug 28, 2012 10:39 AM

# re: The Bad Seed: Battling with Corrupt SharePoint Lists
Requesting Gravatar...
We can delete corrupted lists using STSADM as well:
Stsadm -o forcedeletelist -url <LIST URL>

Force Delete Corrupted SharePoint List using PowerShell / STSADM
Left by SPAdam on Jul 31, 2013 11:36 AM

Your comment:
 (will show your gravatar)

Copyright © MOSSLover | Powered by: