My Techie Blog

Windows Azure

Windows Azure

Windows Phone

WorkFlows

WSS V3

xml

I have a WSS v3 server with SP1 and i was looking at upgrading the search to MS search express 2008.
So i taught let me upgrade it to SP2.
Donwloaded the trouble and then installed it and it went like a breeze.
Everything went ok only i didn't test whether the search was working(MY FAULT -trusted MS)

After a while i got an email from a user saying search isn't working.And i taught i'll just restart the search service and it will be fine.But that didn't do the trick

Look a the ULS logs and Event Viewer and found lots of troubles liek below:):

The start address <sts3://myserver/contentdbid={6a68a5ab-2b97-419f-9e88-57875d494f39}> cannot be crawled.
Context: Application 'Search index file on the search server', Catalog 'Search'
Details:
    The object was not found.   (0x80041201)

After doing some research i found its a common error with different solutions but nothing specific.

Funny enough the search was working before installing SP2
So the error didn't make sense to me at first.

See similar errors here

Later i came across :
Method 1 :Disabling the loopBack check
Method 2 : Specify Hostnames
And you will have to do this in the registry  See how to do it here

But tried all that but still no LUCK

So i taught maybe i should look at my default content access accts and the search acct. But they all have access to the database.

Also did a fullcrawl from the command line but nothing.

Later started looking  at the AAM(Alternate Access Mapping) maybe somethings had changed but all remained the same.
I later found Ivans post here about  AAM's and i must say its a MUST READ.
But after going through that i didn't find anything that could solve my problem.

I also came across this post by MVPs and one person reckons you might have to re-install  WSS

I now taught of looking at site collections and subsites to make sure all the access is OK  etc
After i checked the root site http://myserver:PORTNUMBER and bingo i got a http 404 error which means the site wasn't exisitng thats why it couldn't start the crawl at the root address.

So i wenu to the Sharepoint Central Admin > App Management > Create Site Collection and created a blank team site on the root site.

And bingo it worked like a charm

Hope this helps.

posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:27 PM

Feedback

# re: WSS Search Error :The start address cannot be crawled -EventID :2436- Post SP2 11/2/2009 4:33 PM Scott
Finally figured out what you were saying. I looked at the site collection and had a second admin site that when you try to bring it up in a browser, noting existed. Then I created a site associated to that port number. That worked. I might just try and delete that site and port, to see if that resolves the issue.

# re: WSS Search Error :The start address cannot be crawled -EventID :2436- Post SP2 11/13/2009 10:24 AM Jase
Worked, thanks for that :)

# re: WSS Search Error :The start address cannot be crawled -EventID :2436- Post SP2 12/23/2009 1:33 PM Andy
Thanks.

# re: WSS Search Error :The start address cannot be crawled -EventID :2436- Post SP2 2/2/2010 11:41 AM Santhosh
Thanks...Work for me..too

# re: WSS Search Error :The start address cannot be crawled -EventID :2436- Post SP2 3/18/2010 3:46 PM Denise
That did it... Thanks!

# re: WSS Search Error :The start address cannot be crawled -EventID :2436- Post SP2 4/9/2010 6:09 AM svennelito
"I am having this exact same issue. There is no site at the root level. I am running wss3.0.
Problem is I can't seem to create a new site at the root level. when I create a site collectionthe url only allows it to be created under the servername/sites url."

This should solve the problem

# re: WSS Search Error :The start address cannot be crawled -EventID :2436- Post SP2 6/15/2010 5:19 PM SleepyBoBos
Worked for me too. I think I might have deleted my root site at some point for the website in question, thinking it was obsolete or not being used, and hence caused the error.

In addition I did the following to get it all back up and running
1. Stopped search service through central admin
2. Cleared out my current search database ie deleted all tables\sprocs using script found elsewhere on the web
3. Restarted search service and associated content databases with the search indexer (remember this association is lost when you restart the search service)
4. I then forced a crawl using
Stsadm -o spsearch -action fullcrawlstart
but this only indexed the sharepoint_admincontent[guid here] database.
5. Went home thinking that the scheduled index, setup to run early in the morning, would fix all. Sure enough when I came in both my content databases had been successfully crawled.

I don't know why my stsadm command did not achieve the same results.

# re: WSS Search Error :The start address cannot be crawled -EventID :2436- Post SP2 6/18/2010 9:03 AM Arnaud
This worked for me, allthough my content database was filled with documents it took same time before any result was shown.

Sharepoint was indicating that there were no results. It took more than a half hour before i was seeing any results in my search.

# re: WSS Search Error :The start address cannot be crawled -EventID :2436- Post SP2 10/6/2010 5:21 AM Erik Richardson
Great thank you for the blog sorted out my issue keep it up :D

# re: WSS Search Error :The start address cannot be crawled -EventID :2436- Post SP2 10/28/2010 1:53 AM David
Thank you soooo much for your post! I went through all the solutions you did with no luck. Finally I found your post and it worked like a charm.

# re: WSS Search Error :The start address cannot be crawled -EventID :2436- Post SP2 6/22/2011 8:45 AM Jerry
Great find. I was having this very problem until I created a blank team site at the root. Thanks

# re: WSS Search Error :The start address cannot be crawled -EventID :2436- Post SP2 9/25/2011 1:16 AM M. A. KHAN
Thanks, it worked for me. But for crawling only.

# re: WSS Search Error :The start address cannot be crawled -EventID :2436- Post SP2 2/22/2012 11:49 PM Kevin
Thanks, yep i didnt bother upgrading the root DB after sp2 update. That fixed it!

stsadm -o addcontentdb -url http://root -databasename "db_name_xx"

# re: WSS Search Error :The start address cannot be crawled -EventID :2436- Post SP2 5/21/2012 8:39 AM pankaj
This information was really very helpful, thanks for sharing.

Errors, Troubleshooting, Problem Cases, Performance Monitoring, Best Practices etc.